Reporting to and working in close collaboration with the Director of Development and Operations (DDO), the development manager will provide critical support for MTFP’s revenue growth strategy to further MTFP’s mission. The Development Manager will manage the major gifts and foundation grants programs. The Development Manager will also work with the membership manager as part of the growing MTFP development team.
- Major gifts program
- Research major donor prospects, create plan for outreach, conduct discovery and shepherd new major donor prospects into a relationship with MTFP;
- Prepare DDO and Executive Director (ED) for gift asks by scheduling, briefing and drafting proposals, as necessary;
- With the development team, create a stewardship plan for each major donor and lead the implementation of those plans;
- Work with DDO and the ED to create and launch MTFP giving society;
- Maintain Salesforce (donor database) and leverage technology to track and report on contacts, proposals, gifts, pledges, etc.;
- Record, process and acknowledge gifts made to the organization;
- Meet with donors, regularly and as-needed, to meet fundraising goals.
- Foundation grants program
- Working with DDO, develop strategy and direction for MTFP’s foundation grant program;
- Research funder prospects, keep track of grant cycles and coordinate drafting of grant proposals;
- Manage grant reporting;
- Build and maintain relationships with grantmakers and develop strategies for increasing the likelihood of awards.
- Collaborate with the development team to plan and execute virtual and in-person events that engage and inform MTFP members and major donors;
- Contribute to staff meetings and discussions, collaborate with teammates, develop a deep understanding of the nonprofit news industry, and have fun!
- Excellent written and verbal communication and organizational and time management skills.
- Outgoing and excited to build relationships with donors and connect our mission to their passions. Passionate, high-energy and perceptive.
- Creative thinker and problem solver.
- Responsive, tactful and professional and possessing a donor-centric mindset;
- Previous development experience is a plus, but not required.
- Experience working for fast-paced, innovative startup business/nonprofit is a plus.
- Experience leveraging technology in your workflow – i.e, CRM database, cloud-based collaboration, email marketing, spreadsheets, video conferencing, cloud-based project management, etc.
- You are committed to diversity and inclusion, and its value in the workplace.
- You care about and believe in the critical role that public service journalism plays in our democracy.
- Bachelor’s degree required.
This is a full-time, exempt position that reports to the DDO and is based at MTFP’s headquarters in Helena, Mont. Remote working would be considered, but strong preference will be given to those willing to work at MTFP’s headquarters. Travel and some nights/weekends will be required and will likely increase after the pandemic.
We offer a competitive salary plus health insurance (medical, dental, vision), retirement savings plan, generous holiday, sick and vacation leave, and flexible work hours.
MTFP is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to hiring employees from diverse backgrounds. People of color, women, LGBTQ+, and differently-abled people are strongly encouraged to apply.
Application details: Please send a resume, cover letter, and salary requirements to email@example.com and include “Development Manager” in the email subject line.
If you don’t meet 100% of our requirements but are ambitious, smart and driven, then please apply! We are excited to welcome team members with nontraditional career paths.