We recognize the critical role watchdog journalism and statehouse reporting plays in a democratic society. That’s why we are committed to producing high-quality, in-depth news reports and providing them to the public.
Unless otherwise noted, all stories published on MTFP are published under a BY-NC-ND 3.0 US Creative Commons license. Anyone, including state and regional news outlets, is welcome to distribute and transmit the work under the following conditions:
- All stories, graphics, videos, photos, and images produced by Montana Free Press must run in their entirety unless Montana Free Press provides written exception prior to republication. You have permission to edit Montana Free Press material to reflect editorial style changes, changes in time (i.e., replacing days of the week with dates, etc.), and location.
- Stories may be edited for length due to space restrictions. However, we ask that you send us a copy of the edited/shortened story before publishing — if possible — or as soon as you feasibly can.
- All republished content delivered online must contain a link to Montana Free Press and include all links contained in our original published story. You may not sell our material separately.
- You must credit Montana Free Press. For story bylines, please use “Author Name, Montana Free Press.” We will also accept “Author Name, MontanaFreePress.org,” if “Montana Free Press” is mentioned in the body of the story. All other material must be attributed prominently and where appropriate for the material type.
- Editors must notify Montana Free Press via email when they have published one of our stories online or in print. Please email a hyperlink to the page where the story appears, or a .pdf if republished in print, to email@example.com.
- Any of the above conditions can be waived with advance permission from MTFP. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Legal code behind our license.
*This agreement borrows language from the “Steal Our Stories” page written by ProPublica.